Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Post that should have never happened

so Ang thought that this would be a story that she wouldn't want to share for a very long time, but i thought it was perfect to put on the blog so i decided to write it. 2 questions:

have you ever been sooooo sure of something before, and everyone knows it, and then you are wrong?
AND
have you almost missed a flight?

so i thought i knew what i was talking about. i had looked at our tickets numerous times, and had been asked many times when our flight left Iceland. I said 6:05. I was sure of it. our friends told us that we should be at the airport 2 hours before, so we were getting ready to leave Reykjavik to the airport (45 minutes away......more when it is snowing, slushy, and rush hour traffic :)
then i decided to look online to make sure that our flight was on time. NOTE Ang had asked me to check to make sure of our flight times online, but i forgot as we spent our last day a lot with people and packing, so i never did it. Besides I WAS SURE.
Anyhow, i found out our flight was at 5:05 not 6:05 so we all said quick goodbyes and ran out the door. thankfully we were ready. so we hurry down to the airport, check in with the very cold lady, say goodbye to our friend Unnar, and go through customs. we now have 50 minutes before our flight leaves.  Elliot needs to change, Isaac has to pee, boys need food, Ang considers more food, and I have to change some money over, so that all took time. We both had a feeling that we should go straight to the gate but didn't. I tried hurrying us along. I went to the signs and saw that it said "GO TO GATE" so i try making all these arm gestures to Ang and Isaac to hurry up. Finally we are all together walking to our gate....no cart for our 3 carry-ons, 2 backpacks and 2 boys. so as we make our way towards our gate (almost the last gate in the building) we hear them say "last call" and  "final call" before we reach the passport control.

Elliot starts running through the security door, while i am panting from Running carrying 2 bags and Elliot, trying to explain to this guy why we were in his country for 2 1/2 months without jobs. it didn't take too long, but he is a slow stamper. we get through security to the stairs, and we hear "Gate 32 to NY is now closing. i run as fast as i can, and literally get my foot in the door as it is closing, I give them our passports and explain that my wife and other son our a minute behind us. we all get through, and the guy tells us to take the staff elevator up to be quicker. when we get out there is a glass wall in front with a sharp left turn where we are suppose to go that isn't super obvious at first....so we had another 2nd of panic. then we see where we are supposed to go. last people getting on in front of us, but we pass them.. NICE. so here we are on the plane eyes wide, sweaty, 2 kids, Elliot crying, tonnes of luggage, everyone staring....LAST ROW. :) so we got to pass by everyone in our disheveled state. after about 15 minutes we had relaxed, and I could laugh about it. Never again will we do that. it was crazy.

Lesson learned: when you are sure that you are right about something...double check it, then check it again, then get someone else to.
Also, Trust Your instincts.

A.J.

p.s. Isaac wanted to type something so i told him he could. here he is:

vftft2fyvryfi2ig287vfovfffffd39//g1f391v/f/v`vbp`vP~pv/1v/`cvrv/c`vpv/i/`

;)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sææælll!! hahahahah...úff... that was close! Good to hear that you got there safe... we miss you guys already!
Bogga

Anonymous said...

nothing like a little last minute adventure!

your stories are lovely. i hope the rest of the journey goes smooth.

beck

Anonymous said...

Gosh! I told you we didn´t wanna let go of you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ó I forgot.....hi.is!

Anonymous said...

i had a feeling this would happen! ..maybe because it has happened to me more than once.. and twice... hehemm...

aaanyway, miss you guys!!!! Elliot, I miss your hugs and laughing..
Isaac, David misses you sooo much! he is always saying he wants you back right now!! :o)

we just arrived from Reykjavík.. no crazy spinning around on streat thing this time.. great weather and roads exept last 50 km.. then it was a crazy slippery ice covering the road.. good thing I was driving.. slooooowly hhahahaha..

Sææææll!!!

knús, Alda.

Anonymous said...

uuuppppssss!!!
Yes that was close! and I have experianced similar and learnd a lesson. My lesson was:
It is so confortable to be ssooooo sure and knowing I'm following my instincts but I'd never count on it, specially not with expectations.
I guess you are at home already now, I am glad for you.
It was nice to meet with you.
See you soon.
From Benni

PS.
Isach: cojdnie/nmflsæs90fmk\503l3.dldos9/984849fkfjanzmc,xzpdðpððee-ðe-ö and you are right!!!

Roo said...

no way!!!! what a great story. but wow...yeah....
tip noted.

Álfheiður said...

That was close!
Nice to hear that you got the flight and hopefully you are all safe home by now.
God bless you all and we miss you all!

Deanna Momtchilov said...

Haha - I have SO been there! (both in being so sure of something and in barely getting onto a plane all sweaty and with children who need to eat, etc.)

Deanna Momtchilov said...

ps - I'm going to see you SOON!!!

Anonymous said...

ahhh. i finally had some time to check your blog again- WILD.
it is nice to have you in the peg again. love, joc

Anonymous said...

How horrible!! We have experienced this nightmare once coming from Vancouver on route to Iceland. I was the one who "knew" what time the flight was :)

Glad you made it,

Take care,
Edda and Kent Langworth

Anonymous said...

jæææææja!!!! (that is a very impatient jæja..)
how about some more blogging??? or is Canada so boring.. hey, come back to Iceland then ;o)
we miss you guys... Davíð still says "versity" when he is all alone playing.. a word nobody understands but his favorite Isaac :o)
hugs and kisses, Alda